Friday, May 22, 2015

Incompetent Cervix - my story so far- part 3

Sunday April 19th, 2015. After having been admitted to the Women's Hospital the day before and fasting (on my head) overnight. I was waiting for the Operating Room to open up so I could have my rescue cerclage placed. The day before my cervix was a scant .77cm and 2cm dilated. (For reference it should normally be between 3-5cm and no dialtion!)

This was such a hard day emotionally for me because at the exact time I was in the OR I was missing the memorial service at our church for my sister who had recently passed. Being in the hospital, trying to save my baby is probably the only thing that could have kept me away. 

So. What's it like to get a cerclage? Here are the details. I hope you don't find yourself in this position, but just in case, maybe this will help. 

After a night in trendleberg position, fasting and having my blood tested for assorted things, I was taken to the OR. I received spinal anesthesia, which was honesty the most painful part of all (bee sting?? Yeah right) the nurses were all so nice. They could tell I was terrified and kept asking me things about myself. The spinal did make me nauseated, but they were able to give me IV meds that worked within minutes. 

"See this is why we don't let you eat!" A nurse said.

Once numb, your legs are put up in very high stirrups and they use an assortment of tools to hold you open while the doctor works. Luckily you can't feel a thing but pressure. 

Dr. Harraway-Smith arrived and prepared for surgery. She had told me that morning that she would not know how it went until she "got in there" but that she would stop if things looked iffy at any point. 

It only took her about 15 minutes to stitch my cervix closed. This was such a strange experience, because yes, I could literally feel her tugging and working her way around the cervix in there. Again, thankful for anesthesia!

Immediately afterwards she told me that while there had been a lot to "grab" it was relatively thin, but she did her best. 

They placed a catheter (ouch) and wheeled me to recovery. 

No comments:

Post a Comment