Friday, May 22, 2015

Incompetent Cervix- my story so far- part 4

After two hours or so in recovery, I could move my feet again and I was starving. I finally got to go back to the room and see my husband. Poor guy, people had been texting and calling him and he didn't know anything about what was going on with me. 

I was observed and kept on procordia (to stop contractions) for 12 hours I think. I am not sure when I went home, but it wasn't too long after. 

Sometime in the next 48 hours after being sent home, I had what was a good amount of clear fluid come out of me. Knowing this was one of the potential risks of the whole ordeal, I asked Erik to take me back to Maternity Amissions. (This is the third time in 4 or 5 days, if you've lost count)

I was admitted and prepared to do an "amni-sure" test to check for amniotic fluid. 

In the longest 45 minutes or so of my life, we waited for the results. The doctor is very sorry. The test was positive. Your baby isn't viable yet and we'll come back later to discuss your options...

Admitted to a L&D room and so confused. They did a different test where they look for amniotic cells under a microscope. They couldn't find any. 

I stayed overnight to wait and see a Maternal Fetal doctor in the morning.   

Moving from sad to very confused overnight, the maternal fetal doctor offered us quite a bit of hope. He had ordered an ultrasound, read it and said, even if it is fluid, the baby still has plenty, and a slow leak can stop itself. He said we could do an amniocentesis dye test and know for sure, or repeat the microscope test 24 hours from the first one. We decided against the amniocentesis, ultimately deciding since it wasn't going to change, it was an unnecessary risk. 

On a new doctor's shift, she repeated the swab test. "Your vagina is actually very dry! I don't see anything, but I'm taking it to the microscope." Best thing I'd heard in days!!

The test is negative for fluid. After 5ish days in the hospital, we can finally go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment