Friday, May 22, 2015

Incompetent Cervix - my story so far - part 1

Flashback

In September of 2014 my husband and I agreed to start trying to conceive a second child. Our daughter would turn 2 in December and the timing seemed right. Naomi was a very emotional, high-needs child from birth (I now like to refer to her as "assertive", "self-confident" and a good leader) and around this time, we finally felt we could start to deal with that again in case the next baby had a similar personality.

On January 10th, we were on our way out the door for a day trip to Virginia and I felt that something was different. I took a pregnancy test without warning my husband first, walked back into our bedroom and couldn't think of anything to say except "HAPPY PRIZE!!" Which is what our daughter says when she means to say "surprise". We felt very blessed to conceive so easily a second time.

The next 6-8 weeks were spent working on getting passports for my daughter and I (in addition to my regular working) so we could visit my terminally ill sister in Alberta, Canada. About 2,000 miles away. We were finally able to visit for two weeks in March. (I was 14 weeks pregnant at the time, and due to problems getting my Medicaid card, I had not yet been to the doctor. Despite applying for it 6 weeks earlier.) my husband had stayed home because he was hired for a full-time job and needed to start while we were away. 

Sadly about three weeks later, my sister passed away. My parents (who had stayed with her) returned to North Carolina the following week. And this would be the week of my first doctors appointment. 

On April 13th I had my first OB appointment at 19w1d at the clinic in the women's hospital because they were the only office in town who would see me with my Medicaid still pending. It was a pretty routine exam, they even did an external exam and told me I looked fine. I scheduled my anatomy ultrasound for Friday the 17th after work. So relieved to finally find out the baby was fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment